The standard of living in today’s society is highly influenced by the innovation of technology. For instance, technology has helped make our lives safer and more secure through digital door locks. Many modern households are using this type of door lock because they believe that it can prevent burglars from breaking into their houses. But, how safe and secure do keyless locks are?
If you’re planning to install keyless locks into your home, take time in determining the pros and cons of these door locks.
- No keys required – Keyless door locks are very convenient because it spares you from bringing along set of keys. There’s nothing to worry about losing the key and replacing the door knobs.
- Pick-proof – Unlike the traditional door locks, using the digital door locks is much better because burglars can’t bump or pick the lock. Keep in mind that criminals are smart in such a way that they can easily pick ordinary key lock and break into your home.
- Control – Using digital door locks is highly preferred in apartments or multi-door building. It gives full control to the landlord or caretaker to identify the individuals who can enter the building or the apartment. It’s because digital locks usually have PIN code.
- Perfect for disabled or elderly – Investing in digital door lock brings huge advantage particularly for those people who don’t have quick access of opening the door or having difficulty in using keys.
- Aesthetically pleasing – There are wide range of digital door locks to choose from. You can select the one that suits your needs and preference.
- Power failure – This is the common issue if the keyless door locks are operated by electricity. In case of power failure, it won’t work, thus preventing the homeowner to enter the house. The good thing is that you can find door locks that are battery or mechanically-powered.
- Wear and tear – Pressing the buttons frequently can lead to immediate wear and tear and will also leave dark marks. This will put risk to the security of your home and there’s no other choice but to change the code every now and then.
- Lengthy PIN code – Digital door locks usually have 10 digits PIN code that is somewhat inconvenient especially for those who are forgetful.
- Shoulder surfing – If you’re opening the door with other people behind you, you must be careful in keying the code. Make sure that the person behind you is not looking over the keypad or it will endanger your security. Another thing to consider is to always clean the buttons so that dirt and dust won’t clog the keypad. Otherwise, it will make the buttons malfunction.
The code of digital lock doors can be shared with other people such as your relatives. Thus, you can let them into your house even if you’re not around. To enhance your home security, the best option is to upgrade to digital locks. If in case the installer had set the code, make sure to change it for your security.